Saturday, August 29, 2015

So, This Is Gross!

Hellooo...

I have good news and I have bad news...

The good news, is that I never have to worry about Miss Manners, herself, ever requesting to visit my house, most especially one particular closet...so there's that...

The bad news is that I have found moths in said closet...ick! ack! gross! WTHeck!

Now, I know just what ya'll are thinking and it's something along the lines of "It's that wool coat hanging in your closet," Am I right? Well, darlings that would be wrong because I got rid of all woolen items when we moved from the frozen tundra to sunny CA...almost three years ago! So, now you're scratching your head thinking "WTHeck?, this is a mystery"

I suppose I should really have started this post by telling you where I found the moth and holes...they were in my "Bee's Knee's" WIP...and I swear that moth looked at me and laughed as it delighted in it's meal...of my Gloriana Silk Floss!

After an unanswered plea for someone, anyone to help me figure out what was going on and why they were drawn to my Silk Floss, and maybe just a hug...I turned to my ever present hero..."The Googles," and learned that moths are also fond of silk...Oh snap!

So, what did we learn here kiddies? Those lovely WIPs, UFO's and stash waaay in the back of your closet can draw moths...Oh you bet they can! I wish I had known this before hand, which is why I'm passing this gross and embarrassing story on to you, dear friend...

I followed the instructions of "The Googles" and my monthly pest control fellow (whom I have on speed dial) and began by removing anything that was on the ground, washing any clothes that were hung away after wearing,  and vacuuming out the entire walk in closet and tossing out the bag after. I then tossed the UFOs (this is the part where I cry) and searched for any other Silk items that were in my stash, and thankfully there were none. I laid the three Gloriana flosses that I hadn't used out in the fresh air for a couple of hours and then sealed them in Ziploc bags...Monday said spray fellow will come to assess the situation...

Oh, and one more thing...you know that Pashmina Scarf that you adore? They like to eat those too, and they don't care what color it is or how much you love it!

Don't say I didn't warn ya! For more information, visit here...

I do have to share that, tho, I may have cried when I tossed the 3 UFOs and 2 WIPs with holes...on the bright side, I no longer have any UFOs to speak of! Please don't comment and tell me ways that I could have salvaged those UFOs, as I am a huge baby about germs and bugs of any kind, so that would not be something that I could live with and stay sane...but thank you anyway...kisses!

Just keeping it real...

Thanks for stopping...

Hugs Ya'll

16 comments:

  1. So sorry. Thank you for passing this information to us. I guess we will all be looking in our closets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry...I don't use a lot of silk, but now I'll be checking my stash! I have a moth story...my father gave me a 10 pound box of pistachios from the ranch that he managed. We used a about six pounds and then somehow forgot that we had left the box in the spare bedroom. I keep the door shut in the winter to save heat. Fast forward about five or six months. I opened the door one warm afternoon and noticed all these tiny moths on the ceiling. Oh. My. Goodness. They had completely infested the room. It took me months and months to track them all down. Never again...the pistachios went into zip-lock bags as soon as they came in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I would have had a little freak out too. Sucks that they ate 5 projects -little bastards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the moth invasion! I would have tossed the projects as well. Hope the rest of your weekend is good.

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how disheartening. Sounds like you have the situation under control and you are moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would have had to throw out the projects too.... I'm not very good when it comes to creepy crawlies and flying bugs. Look on the bright side though....you've got a great excuse to go out and buy some new stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that you had this happen. Thank you also for the post, as I hadn't known that they love silk also! Another moth that I hate is the mealy moth! Ugh! You can bring them home in nearly anything dry from the grocery store if they have a problem with them. I always check my dried beans, rice, corn meal and all bird seed before I buy it. Glad you have it all under control now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh No! I'm so sorry you lost your beloved projects. I had no idea that moths were attracted to silk either. Ugh! Hopefully you don't have to deal with those little pests again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH NO! I'm beside myself for you. Thanks for the warning though. My limited fabby stash shall not succumb to a similar situation. Nothing of worth in my clothes lol

    Sorry this happened. PS I'm back to the blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Horrid little monsters. They ate my very favorite wool burnt orange jacket a few years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! But I would have been like you and tossed them out. Yuck I don't like bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how awful--thanks for the tip on silk-loving moths! I'm off to check my closet to make sure mine are okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! Thank you for the info though - very sweet to pass it along. I love stitching with silk and also knit. I need to check my stash. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!