Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Holy Schmoly.....

Good Wednesday morning, dear friend!

I managed to make my way into the doctors' office yesterday, and after some poking and prodding on his part, and his requests for some silly poses and ninja moves on my part (which I suspect may have been less for his assessment than amusement) it was declared that I am suffering from the simple yet painful "Sciatica." I asked said doctor what exactly causes "Sciatica" and as I expected a very scientific explanation (I am after all, a retired critical care nurse) I was disappointed by his simple answer...he said age, weight, gender and poor lifting technique are the main factors that pose a threat, and when these issues arise together it's like the perfect storm of irritation. He also added that it should resolve itself within a month or so...to which I exclaimed, "I need to get back to my life way before that!" Thankfully, he did hand me a prescription sheet with both an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant written upon it...which I promptly handed to the friendly pharmacist at my local "Tar-jay," and while I waited I picked up some goodies which included a new heating pad (my current one died Sunday night, probably from over use), a freezer gel back wrap, a new nail polish, and dog treats (so it shouldn't be a total loss). I started with the anti-inflammatory which worked so-so, but I am loathe to actually begin the muscle relaxant as I imagine myself like those cartoons where the big bad wolf melts into a puddle...all rubbery and flax. He also gave me my choice of physical therapy or continuing with the my chiropractor and massage therapy routine...I chose the latter...like, duh!

Thank you for all of the sweet e-mails of support...I'm shocked by how many friends suffer from back pain, and feel sad for each and every one of us.

Anyhoo...

I did manage a bit of online retail therapy, and ordered two kits from Bothy Threads. I had already stitched up "Love Heart" for my sister, and decided to stitch one for myself, as well, which I am planning to have both framed the same so that we each have one hanging in our house. I also ordered "Love Tree" which I am going to stitch up for Me-Ma and have framed along with the two hearts, since she is the tree that bloomed us...so to speak...I'll post progress pics as soon as I make a start.

I have also been giving some serious thought to my 2017 stitchy plans, since I find myself ending 2016 with more WIPs and UFOs than finishes. I'm not sure when I began to drag my needle, but when I looked at my "Finishes" page I was appalled by how progressively shorter my finish lists have become over the last couple of years, so I really need to reevaluate my priorities and get back into that in which I find so much enjoyment, and stop frittering my time away on things that mean nothing and drain my time and energy...like the recent elections and general angst.
Look for a future post, once I get my stitching priorities set.

Well, that's all there is to report...thanks for stopping by!

Hugs

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you saw the doctor and he was able to get you started on some relief. Don't push too hard; allow your body to heal. Love what you're planning with the Bothy designs. What a great way to celebrate family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWO POSTS!!! It's like early Christmas up in here!! I hope you unkink sooner than later. Happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got some answers! And I would have chosen a massage over physical therapy too :) I only ever had a muscle relaxer once and I took it before bed. I had pulled a muscle in my neck and it was giving me migraines anyway I couldn't wake my self up in the morning. It was like coming out of anesthesia for me. And since I have two young kids I couldn't do that, they would have had the house tore apart! But they are wonderful as long as you have the time to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karyn I sincerely hope this works for you!♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to the doctor is always a trip in itself!~ I do hope you will be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a productive outing -- doctor visit and trip to Target. I hope the back/sciatica are on the mend. Don't over do! Looking forward to hearing about your 2017 stitching plan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no, sciatica is brutal ~ i'm so sorry you're suffering. my brother gets it every so often and says chopping wood really helps the healing process, go figure lol, silly brother. my heating pad lives in a kitchen drawer... to speed along proofing when making homemade bread, works like a charm:) feel better real soon my friend... xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of getting back into stitching and found your blog today. Will be checking in from time to time. Long-time back sufferer - surgery, etc. Best thing is strenghening with physical therapy exercises and starting to walk every day. I went from 7 months flat on my back to walking 3-4 miles every day. It works. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your sciatica, back pain is the worst, isn't it? Like you, I suffer from lower back pain - no fun at all! I find that water aerobics helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. Good luck with your stitchy goals for 2017, I have big plans, too!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!