Sunday, November 15, 2015

I Scream For Mexican Food


I have always had a great love for all food Mexican, you can pretty much put a Rojas sauce on anything and I will eat it. I hate pork, but somehow you add some cumin and call it Carnitas and I am all over it. I think my love affair with Mexican food stems from growing up in Southern California, and the Spanish influence. Whatever it is, man I love the stuff!
I am sharing the best ever Taquito recipe with you, dear friend, because that's what I am making for dinner tonight.

For those of you scratching your head and wondering "What the heck is a Taquito?," it's a meat filled and rolled corn tortilla deep fried and served with salsa and guacamole. It is Mexican comfort food at it's very best. Now, if you don't know what guacamole is, I can't help you and can only send you to the Mexican cooking 101 site, because everyone knows what guacamole is, right?

Ingredients:
3 Boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Garlic powder
1 Medium onion
2 Medium Bell Peppers
3 Tbsp Cooking Oil
1 Can Diced Tomatoes (15 oz)
2 Cups Chicken Broth
12 to 24 Corn Tortillas for Taquitos or Flour Tortillas for Flautas

Directions:
In a four quart pan add chicken breasts.
Cover with water, bring to boil, loosely cover with lid.
Cook over medium low heat for 1 hour, drain saving broth.
Set chicken aside to cool.

When cooled, chop in small pieces. In same pot add oil, sauté` onion and bell peppers, diced. Cooking over low heat until lightly sautéed
Add chicken cooking 3 or 4 more minutes.
In blender add can tomatoes, chili powder, garlic, cumin, and oregano. 
Pour mixture in pan along with 2 cups of broth. 
Bring to boil, cover and simmer over medium heat about 15 or 20 minutes, salt to taste.

Heat oil in skillet. 
Cook tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil until soft, about 5 to 10 seconds; drain.
Strain liquid, then spoon 1 tablespoons of the chicken meat in center of each tortilla. 
Roll the tortilla around the chicken filling into flute shape. 
Use a toothpick to hold the tortilla in shape.
* At this point I will often freeze them until I am ready tp fry them, this seems to help the meat from overcooking and getting tough. :)

Fry chicken taquitos approximately 2-3 minutes or until tortilla holds its shape...You need turn them only once. 
Remove the toothpicks and serve 2-3 taquitos on a plate.
Serve with fresh salsa, sour cream and guacamole on the side.
Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. These sounds absolutely divine.... Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sure....ya gotta let me know how you like them! My mouth is watering just thinking about them....I also forgot to mention in the recipe...I usually get them to the rolled and ready to fry stage before I freeze them and until I am ready to fry them up that way the meat doesn't get overcooked when i fry them.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Karyn!
    I appreciate you visiting my blog and thanks for the compliments!
    I will search for a pic of my stitching stand. Best bet is to look at Ebay.
    Visit me back at my blog for a pic.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer
    http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh......what an excellent idea! Yes, I'm going to print this out now, and put it into my recipes section to try on our next menu. Will definitely let you know.

    He he, I also just learned recently that I could freeze avocado, so I'm all set to have some of your taquitos with guacamole very soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were soooooo good, we ate every last one! Poor little brother came home last night, from a friends house, looking for left overs and there were none :)


    Freeze avacado? Who knew......Do tell LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH!!!!!

    I love these things. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

    I can't waite to make some for myself.


    Love & Prayers,
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I wasn't allergic to peppers! This sounds delicious, my dh will appreciate it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne...leave out the peppers...it tastes just as good! :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!