Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Organized Floss

Good Afternoon, dear friend...

I have been working hard at organizing my craft space ever since our move....almost two years ago!

I went from having a very good sized craft and sewing room, to a combination guest room and craft/sewing room...now, of course I am in no way complaining as the old homestead had just become too big for us empty nesters...not to mention it was clear across country from our current home. But, that aside I found that down-sizing in general was not a bad task at all, and actually quite cathartic, it forced me to decide what is really important and what is not...until it came to my stitching stash. I just couldn't widdle that down, even after giving away a lot of stash that I knew I would never use.

I am happy with how my stash is fitting into it's new home and have come up with some really cool ways to organize it all...with a little thanks to my Internet friends...

Today I am sharing my new floss organization system...

At first glance it appears to be an ordinary plastic file bin...


But wait...open up this unassuming bin and....viola!

What lies within...Floss, floss and more floss!



I saw this idea online and thought it was brilliant! I tweaked it a bit for my own preference and it became the perfect floss system...

I started by taking unused and left over letter sized file folders and cut them straight across, then took my edge punch and punched holes along the cut edge...




I used hole reinforcement circles to add strength (this was a bit time consuming but totally worth it) so that the 1 inch rings would not tear the holes while hanging...



Next, I used my trusty label maker and added a floss name label to each hole in alphabetical order...to make it easier to find a floss at quick glance...


And hung each floss on a ring, until I was done...



Now finding just the right floss is a breeze...and they stay safe, clean and organized...and the best part is they all fit neat and today inside the closet.


Hugs Ya'll

19 comments:

  1. That turned out good! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Ma...I love organizing my stash, it's almost as much fun as stitching it LOL. I too have seen this idea. I've got my DMC all organized standing up in a drawer with dividers which I love but my overdyes I keep in floss bags on big rings by brand. I'm wondering how I'm going to handle downsizing some day in the future too! I have way too much craft stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. We have a much smaller craft room now also. We are getting cube shelves for storage of a lot of stuff. I will also use a shoe storage thiungy hung on the wall for my yarn. we will make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is some system--great to have all floss organized and in one place

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice job ma:) two years?! time is surely the worst of all enemies... xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great system! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great organizing Ma! I love the new look of your blog. IT's BEAUTIFUL!!!
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really a very clever idea how to organize one's threads. So you will always find very easily what you need.
    Downsizing and de-cluttering is always a good thing - and you usually feel so much ligzter when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just returning the following.
    I love your thread storage! What a great idea and so organised.
    Here in the UK thread is so expensive I mainly have DMC which I keep in flossaway bags.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to store your floss!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is awesome! Glad you are posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is awesome! Glad you are posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is a great way to store floss and I am super jealous of your thread collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! It feels so good to get organized, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever idea!! This looks fantastic all nice and tidy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you're all settled in and ready to stitch! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, would you look at you all organized. Cheers to finding that special way to store all of your favorite floss. LYLALLSS oh and organize this...YAFTOFMTKUW. ha. As always. xxx/~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your floss organization! I've seen this idea before but I like your spin on it much better. How many colors can you get in one container?

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!