Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The First Day...

Good Wednesday morning, dear friend, on this rather frigid morning in the Up Yonder north country where our current temp resides around 14℉....Brrr!

The first day of 2013 came and went, quietly and without fuss, as the night before had been spent the same way, with just Pa and I to ring in the new year...Big Brother and Daughter-In-Love were in California visiting Ma's people, and Little Brother was up in Burlington in his own home...a first for us.

So...

We hitched up the old wagon and made our way over the river and through the woods...

And a trip to our favorite store for goodies...


Notice the missing lights in the sign, which makes it look like a small child missing their front teeth, and must now be called "Trad E's," but I digress...apologies...

Pa and I found restraint as we perused the horderves section, but we may have gone a bit overboard with the cheese, have you ever experienced "Trad E's" cheese section? It's Brilliant...


We even added some apples, for good measure. Yumm...I think we made some good choices!

And since it was New Year's Eve we splurged and treated ourselves to some dessert with our Champagne...


We shared a petite Red Velvet cake (My fave) and Tiramisu (Pa's fave)...sooo good!

I have to confess that we were in bed and fast asleep when the new year rang in, but that's our secret...shhh.

New Years Day was spent the same way as the night before, quiet and low key with just Pa and I.

I spent the morning stitching by the fire, and made some real progress on my "Downton Abbey ABC"...


My goal is to finish it into it's pillow form before Season 3 begins, next week...Yikes, can I do it?

Pa spent the morning up on the mountain, where it was cold and windy at the summit...

very cold today but uncrowded - good way to start off the year :)

But, as you can see, he forged on and took one for the team...and had his usual fun.

Once Pa arrived home, it was time for some serious snow shoeing with the pups...

#snowshoeing with @bzctmom blazing the trail in the deep #snow for #leo & #teagan in #vermont

Quite a good work out, through almost 3 feet of snow! Leo is so funny, he stays right on his Mama's heels...goofy goof.

And then it was time to head in and warm up a bit, and make our traditional New Year's Day meal...


Blackeye Peas (for good luck) in dirty rice and sauteed Cabbage (for good fortune) with noodles. We add the rice and noodles for no other reason than they are just so darn yummy, yo! (Sorry 'bout the "yo," gentle reader, perhaps I have been watching a bit too much "Breaking Bad.")

And then, once again it was time to turn in for the night, and with it the end of the first day of 2013.

Thanks for stopping by, dear friend, and I send you off about your day with a warm hug and a cup of something hot, and with hopes for a year that finds you abundant with good luck and good fortune, and perhaps a stitch or two for good measure.

First Day Hugs
Ma Teakettle

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a peaceful way to bring in the new year. I TOTALLY love cheese with fruit and truth be told, I find myself wishing I was there eating with you. ;-)

    Happy New Year Ma and Pa. I hope you find nothing but joy in the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pa might have get behind me in line for the Tiramisu, unless you're also serving Apple Strudel haha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my friend since you and Pa were alone, and , the Vikings are setting sail, this New Years Eve may become the norm and since I always tend to look out side the box I see an abreviation of the word TRADition with a twist of Ma, hence the Trad E's! Cheers to new TRADitions/ TRAD E's and being with the one yo love on a special evening and the rest of your life.
    As always and still do

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost the same thing here, with all of the birdies out of the nest it's nice and quite and the old folks get to just enjoy one another. We shared our lucky black-eyed pea meal too. Happy Stitchy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your times up yonder sound just perfect!! Wishing you, Pa and the youngins' a wonderful New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Downton Abbey piece your working on. And on my, your New Years Day dinner looks so yummy. How about the receipes.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive never been to trader joes-sounds like my kind of store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been into TJ's. I'll have to check it out some time.

    I would love the recipe for the sauteed cabbage and noodles! Sounds yummy!

    Dogs are fun in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely first day report. Thanks for the good wishes - I wish them all in return to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Trader Joes. Yes we have one in town. happy New Year to you. love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am curious did you receive your gingerbread house pattern under your tree??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year!
    Looks like it was a perfect couple of days! Love, Love Tjs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks like the perfect first day of the year. Wishing you more of these days and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!