Thursday, January 3, 2013

Oh Snap...

Good Thursday morning, dear friend, from a very frosty Up Yonder...


Oh snap...check that out!

Yep, that's right it is a whopping -7℉, which for the rest of the world (as you know we Americans like to be unique...wink wink) is -21℃, but however you call it...Baby, it's COLD outside!

Needless to say, I will be staying INSIDE today with me bum to the fire and me needle to the fabric!

I wanted to share two recipes with you, dear friend, as I have had a fair amount of requests for both the Cabbage and Noodles, and the Dirty Rice and Blackeye Peas from yesterdays post. Both of these one pan dishes are easy squeezy and very tasty!

So, without further blah, blah, blah...

The recipes...

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

Ingredients:
1 head green cabbage, shredded fine
2 sticks salted light butter
1 package wide egg noodles
Salt to taste


Directions:
In a pasta pot boil egg noodles according to the package, drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a large saute pan.
Add shredded cabbage to pan and mix to coat completely.
Continue to cook the cabbage until it is soft and translucent.
When the cabbage is soft, translucent and no longer bright green, add the cooked and drained noodles to the cabbage pan.
Continue to fry the cabbage and noodle combination for about 5 minutes.
Serve Hot and Enjoy!

Dirty Rice and Blackeye Peas

Ingredients:
1 15 oz can Blackeye Peas, drained and rinsed
1 lb ground beef (any ground meat works)...optional
Sometimes I leave out the meat all together and just begin cooking from the rice boiling directions.

Directions:
Cook the Dirty Rice according to the box directions.
When the timer on the boiling rice gets to 5 minutes left in cooking time, I add the rinsed Blackeye Peas and Mix well.
Continue cooking to the end of the time and serve.
Enjoy!




I hope you like these tried and true recipes, especially the Cabbage and Noodles, which has been a staple in my home since I was a wee girl, and which has become a staple in all of our homes over the years.

Thanks for stopping by today, dear one, and for taking the time to leave such sweet comments, it warms my heart. I am sending you off with two yummy recipes and a hug or two for warmth and good cheer.

Hugs

10 comments:

  1. Ooh now that is cold! I wish it was that cold here. I'm sick of the milder temps and rain. I long for frosts and snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRRrrrrr!! It's cold here, too. We got down to 9 or 10 F last night!

    Thanks for posting the recipe! It sounds really easy and good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brrrrrr is right. Can't imagine living anywhere when it gets that cold. Thank you so much for the recipes. I will be trying them tonight.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I thought it was cold here at 9 degrees! Keep your warm woolies on! Thanks for the recipes, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! It is certainly cold where you are!

    Our first winter in Ohio sent a record with a temp of -25! Yikes--that was especially bad for a native Floridian.

    Hope you can curl up in front of a warm fire and stitch your little heart away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodnes for Big Girl Panties when it gets below 0...lol We're still in short sleeves up here and the igloos are starting to take shape.....teee heee heee. Gotta love life above the 49th.
    Cheers As always and still do

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya that is cold!
    I really really detest the cold (and I am Canadian!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only good reason for it to be that cold is to give us the excuse of staying inside and stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's cold!!
    Both dishes look wonderful and sound so easy. I have cabbage in the fridge, and I think I will try that recipe tomorrow. DH doesn't like cabbage in any form, so I will half it for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!