Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

 Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
*1 cup dried currants + 1 tablespoon flour
**1/4 cup butter, melted
**1/4 cup buttermilk for brushing on top

*I have also used golden raisins and they taste awesome, but it is worth buying a small amt of currents for the flavor.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Lightly grease a large baking sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Combine the currants with 1 tablespoon of flour and mix into the dough.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. **In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Enjoy it warm with a slather of butter...ohhh so goood!

Hugs

3 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! I'll be making Welsh cakes today in honor of St. David's Day, but I'll be sure to try that next! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't eaten breakfast yet and this looks scrumptious! I've never had soda bread...it looks yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could seriously live on bread alone!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!