Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ma's Chicken Pot Pie

I began making chicken pot pie when The Brothers were little guys, and I have been working on perfecting the recipe ever since.

I had never given much thought to a home made pot pie since it had never been a favorite of mine, my only experience at a pot pie relationship having been at the other end of the freezer section of Alpha Beta Market.

But, when Little Brother had his tonsils removed in 1998, a good friend made us dinner. We arrived home from the hospital tired and famished, and there, tucked sweetly into my refrigerator, was the most beautiful chicken pot pie that I had ever laid my eyes upon. We quickly heated it up and to my amazement it was delicious! Not only did we scarf the whole thing, but we fought over who got to lick the pie plate. It was at that moment that I determined myself to learn how to make the perfect chicken pot pie. Being the independent type of gal that I am, I could not bring myself to ask for the recipe, rather I set out to figure it out myself, and figure it out I did. Below is the result of many years of research, and taste tests by an impartial committee (well maybe not truly impartial) and I hope that you like it, dear friend.

Oh, one more thing, if you wish to take my recipe and make it your own, go for it, just like I did with my friend's recipe. But wait, I forgot to mention the most important ingredient of the whole dish! Don't forget to add the "Love."

So, without further adieu, here is Ma's Chicken Pot Pie recipe....

Ingredients:

  • 4-6 boneless and skinned chicken breasts
  • 1 can Campbell's cream of chicken soup
  • 1 bag frozen peas and carrot
  • 1 bag frozen pearl onions
  • 1 8 oz can mushrooms (optional)
  • 1/2 cup of half and half (fat free is fine)
  • salt and pepper 
  • 1 9 inch pie crust (I use Pillsbury ready pie crust when time is limited) or recipe for "Perfect Easy Pie Crust" below my recipe.

Directions:

Either prepare your crust or let the Pillsbury package sit on the counter for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut your chicken up into 1 inch chunks and spray a large pot with Pam. Add the chicken chunks and cook until no longer pink. Add the chicken soup, salt, pepper, and half and half and simmer over low heat 5-7 minutes, being careful not to burn the bottom. Add the frozen vegetables and stir gently to mix the ingredients. Continue to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. While your filling is simmering, roll your bottom dough out into your pie pan, and when your chicken filling is ready,  pour the hot ingredients into your bottom crust.  Roll the top crust to cover and seal the edges. Make a hole in the top middle and 4 slits around the top of the pie. Brush the entire top of the pie with a small amount of half and half to cover.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Enjoy!

Caution...the inside of the pie will be HOT so let it cool on your plate before taking a heaping fork full. Many burned tongues later I can vouch for this!

Perfect Pie Crust:
courtesy of The Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients:

  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening
  • 6 to 8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) ice water

Directions:

Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Cut the dough in half. Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.

I use this crust recipe for all my pies, both sweet and savory.

I hope you enjoy my recipe.

Pot Pie Hugs and Perfect Crust Kisses
Ma Teakettle

12 comments:

  1. I'm turning my printer on as I type! Must try!

    I seriously think I could visit you on an 'eating vacation'. I'd be a little bird with my mouth open saying 'feed me ma'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that I'm going to wrap my tongue around a forkful of one of these pretty soon! Thank you for sharing Ma!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds so yummy!! I may just have to give this a shot this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken pot pie (or turkey pot pie after Christmas :) ) My favourite recipe is The Barefoot Contessa's Chicken Stew with Biscuits. A little labour intensive but soooo worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe...it sounds so good. My hubby likes Chicken Pot Pie...won't he be surprised when I make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I can smell it through the puter screen.. mm mmm good!

    Thanks, I will be stealing this one tonight to cook for a family in need and keeping one for ourselves! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. O yum!!! I'm gonna try that this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, nothing better then good old comfort food in the form of Chicken Pot Pie...I have printed off your recipe and shall make it 'mine'! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm...is there anything more comforting than a Chicken Pot Pie? I want to try your recipe. Fund finding you in your teakettle corner. I'll be back again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes that sounds good,,,however, I bet I could stitch that recipe up faster than I could make it. Just a jayne thing... anyway it really sounds good and I bet my Leroy would just love it...
    As always

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I am Elizabeth from simple pleasures.I just found your blog and so glad I did. My family loves Chicken pot pie,so I will be trying this recipe.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never made a pie from scratch but this recipe looks scrummy!!!! Yum My mouth is watering at the thought of it!!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!