Friday, November 12, 2010

Button Hole Stitch Stumps Woman....

....And reduces her to tears!
Yep, that's the honest truth, dear friend. I spent an entire day trying to figure this stitch out and I am at a loss. I chose a chart that called for the "button hole stitch" for the flowers, and though I read step by step instructions on more than a few stitching sites and blogs, and watched more than my fair share of YouTube videos, I never could get it.

I accept the fact that I am a visual learner, but no matter, as it just never "clicked" for me. How do you make that button hole stitch look even while creating a circle pattern on your fabric?

I finally gave up at 10:30 PM, last night. I was unwilling to accept my results, which were mediocre at best, simply because this WIP is not for me but for another, and mediocre is not acceptable to me when I am giving.

I would love any advice on how to make some of these specialty stitches, as they are not familiar to me, you see I am rather new to cross stitch, as I had been a needlepoint gal for the past 33 years before I discovered my real passion, and I knew those needlepointy stitches better than I knew myself.

Thanks, dear stitchy sisters

Hugs

6 comments:

  1. I think this one is a good example of this stitch. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4464785880347394862#

    It is exactly what I did on my cross although I made my stitches closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it clicks you will think to yourself - I was making that too hard - I am so sorry you are so frustrated - I wish I had some advice - hang in there !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand how you feel about the button hole stitch. I have an older Loose Feathers piece that just lacks a few button holes and I just can't manage to do them. I've tried everything as well......including one on one instruction. (I have to admit, the teacher wasn't that great.)

    Don't feel bad about it. Even after 25+ years as a cross stitcher I can't manage that one either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those specialty stitches can be tricky. I had a similar problem recently and found some great encyclopedias of stitches at the library (you could also try the book store) that gave step by step instructions with photos. Eventually, I hope to purchase one to keep in my home, but until then I keep going to the library for "instruction"

    My favorite one is Complete guide to embroidery stitches : photographs, diagrams, and instructions for over 260 stitches by Campbell, Jennifer

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK I won't tell you it's a piece of cake or so simple but oh Ma, it WILL come and you WILL think "Is that all it is?" Just one of those persnickety little pestables that get you right at that undefined line of mediocre. Someday you will find out that Specialty stitches are only special if you don't know how to do them. When you do get them figured out they will just be another stitch and it will be all the more reason to Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, dear friends :) Your support is so overwhelming....I treasure ya'll!
    XOXO
    Ma

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!