Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Barefoot Contessa's - Jam Thumbprint Cookie Recipe

We are headed way up yonder to visit Little Brother at college, this weekend for Homecoming and Parent's Weekend. This will be the first time since we dropped him off in August that we will be seeing himself! I asked him for a list of things that he would like for Pa and I to bring up with us, and he said could I make a batch of Jam Cookies, which are a family favorite and true comfort food at it's best.

This is the only recipe that  I have ever used (since it was first published by Ina Garten) because it is the best, so I am sharing it with you, dear friend.


Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
  • 7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
  • Raspberry and/or apricot jam
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown.

Cool and serve.
I store them in an airtight container for up to a week, if they last that long!
Enjoy!

Hugs

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    I hope that you have a safe trip.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful drive with Pa and enjoy the time with Little Brother. Be safe and happy.
    Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMERSSSSS>>>

    Have a safe trip!

    Matty

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious, thanks! I'll have to try them out soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One year for Christmas I made these and gave them for presents to teachers, friends, neighbors...I also think I ate a whole batch myself...you know Quality Control ....

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!