Saturday, May 29, 2010

A New WIP

I just began a new WIP, and a new technique that I am quite thrilled about, it turns out that you can use it to create a different effect by the direction that you stitch with variegated threads, very interesting!

I am stitching Dutch Treat Designs "God Bless Our Home," This GBOH (God Bless Our Home) is the most familiar style and saying of all the American motto designs of the 1870's - 1880's. This is the house blessing design that was most frequently stitched. The motto is charted to be stitched on perforated paper, as the original piece was, but I have chosen to stitch it on a 32 count even weave in Platinum, using the recommended Caron Wildflowers, in flame for the words and moss for the grape vine accent.



I have also chosen to stitch in a diagonal direction to achieve the original "Long stitch" effect, which is showing up really well, a new technique learned that I will share with you, dear friend.

You can see how the letters appear "color clustered" rather than the usual horizontal stripes that you get from working variegated floss in a row.

Cool effect, right?


Here is how it goes:

Begin at the bottom of each letter, and instead of stitching across in rows, follow the chart and stitch up and over one square to the right (on the diagonal). Work back and forth to achieve the same effect as mine, which mimics the color changes from original Victorian motto pieces.

This is the chart that I used.



Once you get going it takes on a nice, easy rhythm.

It's really fun!

Hugs

10 comments:

  1. Awww, muchas gracias mi amigo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice tip ~ need to find the perfect pattern to try it on!

    Lauralee >^.^<
    http://eclecticstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful project, and it sounds fun with the diagonal stitching! Looking forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!! I love it.

    Thanks for the tip, I love varigated floss.

    Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful WIP. I love those words. It's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very good start on the new project. Love the color!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very clever! looking forward to the final piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way the new project is turning out! And I love that chart too... Can't wait to see it finished! Keep on posting those progress pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful start. I am looking forward to following your progress.

    Little Brother, congratulations on your achievement!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!