Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Up Yonder Town


Pa and I had a dinner date "in town" last night. We had a wonderful, relaxing dinner in what was the town's only saw mill a long time ago, built in 1783, and properly named the Old Red Mill Inn. It is now an inn and restaurant, as well as housing one of the last remaining real time cocktail lounges left in the United States.

It was a delicious and cozy date night for Ma and Pa.
After dinner it was such a beautiful night that we decided to walk around the main square before heading back to our car and returning up the hill towards home. I realized, as we were walking past the most awesome quilting store, that I have never shared with you our local quilt shop. I enjoy a good browse, but as I am not a quilter I have never really made a big purchase, but it is so much fun to browse through and look at all the wonderful goodies. I have found the need to grab some charm packs for the back of my ornies and smalls, and they also carry some DMC. It is housed in another old building, named the Norton House, and is aptly called Norton House Quilters Paradise. I do think our town needs a Cross Stitch store, as all of them seem to be way up yonder in Northern VT, maybe someday after Pa retires and we are up yonder all the time, I will just have to open one, however I better tell Pa first.

This is a pic of our main street and the crossroads of the world, well, not really but it is the place where the cross roads of my two worlds come together.


Did I mention that Wimington, VT, my up yonder town was charted in 1751? Yep, it is older than Bob Barker!

It was such a nice evening, thanks Pa

Hugs

19 comments:

  1. Well, I must come visit your lovely town. Looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) It is quite a cozy little town.
    Hugs
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how romantic! Did you stay and dance at the lounge, Karyn? LOL
    Just joking.
    I would have. I would LOVE to go out dancing. I miss that alot. Since we moved here there's not alot of places to do that sort of thing unless you want to witness a bar brawl. LOL

    I had similar thoughts of that cross stitch shop opening and every time I pass a certain place in Helen, Ga., near here, I always say that would be the place.
    But yesterday I went through one of these huge quilt stores because I'm not a quilter but addicted to fabric, and I looked around and could only imagine how much inventory it would take to get started in that business. Took my breath away.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your town looks lovely. So picturesque. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely town! How nice that you had a night out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your town looks so beautiful and peaceful. I think it would be fun to go to a cocktail lounge! Older than Bob Barker? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I love VT! It is such a lovely place. This summer, I hope to scoot up that way for a weekend between sessions while I am in Concord. Quilting... Try it, you'll like it! (Gotta get you down that rabbit hole with me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your town is just beautiful Karyn. I can't imagine how wonderful it must be to have a proper winter with snow! Thanks for sharing your great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost forgot how beautiful those old New England towns are! Thanks for the picture of the main crossroads. I do miss NH quite a bit (as I lived there for several years in the mid-late 1980's)! Someday I plan to visit NH and VT again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tour! I really enjoy seeing places I haven't been. Looks like a story book place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty town! I loved seeing little glimpses. Every town needs a stitching, quilting and knitting store in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for showing us your lovely town. At least you have a quilting store near you - I don't have any craft stores within coooeee of me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it looks just like a postcard! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thanks girls! It is so pretty, and I do love it but I get somewhat cabin feverish at times, one post office and one main market....kinda small town :)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, I love reading your blog, I have spent a lot of time in Vermont, I use to live near Newport, Vt. but on the Canadian side of the border in Quebec. There use to be a good cross stitch shop there but it closed a long time a go. My husband and I now live in Ontario, Canada but we have so many good memories of Vermont and New Hampshire.
    I am in a cross stiting group of 18 ladies and we live and breathe to stitch. Please check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a lovely place Ma... I hope you have years, and years of enjoyment and memories of the up yonder house....in the up yonder town.
    Hugs, GG

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh... what I wouldnt give for some of that snow... =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a truly lovely town & the old Mill lookd fabulous. Lucky you! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!