Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Favorite Corn Chowder

  
Ingredients:

     1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
     1 small onion, diced
     1 small carrot, finely diced
     1 clove garlic, minced
     1/2 cup all-purpose flour
     3 cups white corn kernels, fresh or frozen
     3 cups chicken stock
     2 cups half-and-half
     Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
     Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


 Directions:

Melt 1 stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat, add the onion, carrot, and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir, cook until the the entire mixture is lightly browned; Add the corn and chicken stock (I stir it real well while I add the chicken stock so it doesn't lump) and bring it to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. The mixture should become very thick.

In a small saucepan, gently heat the half-and-half but don't let it come to a boil, stir it into the thick corn mixture. Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste.

Enjoy!

Hugs

8 comments:

  1. oooo I am sooo gonna try this. Would white corn be the same as sweetcorn kernals????

    I am gonna make those rolls as well. Here we do a traditional seafood chowder. I am looking forward to the corn chowder though!
    Thankilydiddly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Lemme know how you like it and how you adapt it :)

    Yes! I use frozen white corn kernels in the winter, it works just as well :)

    Hugs
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum! Will you stop? I want to try each and every one of your recipes! Your family must love your cooking!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh CRAP! I wish I wouldn't have seen this...I love corn chowder, but I have a feeling that corn chowder is not WW point friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...got to ask..what is half and half?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vonna LOL...i say just enjoy it ;)

    siticheranon...half and half is just a type of cream used in coffee here, but you could use heavy or whipping cream. ;)

    Thanks everyone, lemme know how like it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!