Thursday, January 28, 2010

Say, I Been Thinkin'

Best layed plans of mice, men and stitchy gals.

I am here to announce a discovery that I have made about myself, and it is this, that I am unable, uninterested and unwilling to give up my procurement of the occasional snippit of stitchy trinket, otherwise known as stash.

So, I have come to the conclusion, through no fault of my own (wink wink) that it is time to throw in the proverbial towel and admit to myself and to you, dear friend, that I am no longer on the stash wagon, though I am going to continue to follow the rules that I have set for myself with the addition of having the flexibility to know when it is time to buy and and when it is time to sit on the wallet, so to speak. I am remaining steadfast in my rule to avoid purchases made on a whim or an emotional cloud.

So, with this in mind, I have been giving some thought to my next step in cross stitching. As I have been "learning as I go," with my cross stitch WIPs, I have been giving some thought to trying the Victoria Sampler Designs, as I have noticed that their charts offer both a variety of more advanced stitching, including the hardanger method, as well as it will help me become more comfortable with non evenweave fabric. They also offer Cyber classes for a bunch of their charts, which may just be the icing on the cake for me!

I am curious to what you, dear experienced stitchy friend, think about this idea and if you agree that it would be a great learning experience for this little gal who finds inspiration from you.

I'm Curious

Hugs

13 comments:

  1. I respect your decision. You're a grown woman after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have done very well to get this far and it has obviously made you think ie about challenging yourself. And that is all it is about.

    I am finding it very hard expecially when it comes to thinks like finding trims etc...the little things.
    I will perservere a little longer but boy is it hard.

    Up there in best laid plans, it isnt like buying stash can wreck you liver or ruin your lungs. All in all, it is not an awful habit to have!
    BTW just realised you sent me Lakeside lines...I love you. I have never been able to get them before and I am drooling, drooling, drooling. Off to buy bits for your package on Saturday..it has been a very long day..even longer than this comment lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratuations on the surprise snow! (being from the south, snow is always a good thing -- it never lasts long enough to create a problem).

    Seeing so many different designs stitched by all the terrific stitchers on line would make it hard to go cold turkey.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim...thanks :) I feel better and I agree with you! XOXO

    stitcheranon...I hope I have not let anyone down, and I agree with ya :) Ohhh yay, it is beautiful isn' it? I just can't bring myself to try linen that is not evenweave yet, it is a real fear ;) Enjoy and I can't wait to see what you stitch on it, dear friend. Keep up the good work I am rooting for ya *hangs head in semi-shame* :)

    Stephanie...we always want what we don't have right? I wish I could package some up and ship it down :) I agree with you.

    Life IS too short right?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think just being aware of the need to avoid emotional purchases is awesome! I have a cedar chest full of emotional cross stitch in hiding, er, waiting...

    As for Victorian Sampers, I love her work and she has very wonderful patterns. There are a variety of prices in her items, as well as many freebies that are tiney that you can play with the techniques you want to learn. I have used her hardanger hearts (freebies) for wedding samplers and such. Have you looked at those yet??

    What fun! If only I didn't have to work. I'd stitch all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO heads in shame...nothing to prove...self discovery only lol
    Besides, if you did not buy stash I would not have lakeside linens right now would I?
    Go, buy, show and I can add it all to my wish list lol
    Smiles, smiles and more smiles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so what does this mean exactly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, no worries I just want to be "flexible" when I go to North Carolina ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its' a woman's perogitive (I'm sure that is spelt wrong but am too lazy to look it up) to change her mind. I love the Victoria Sampler patterns and as you say they can help with your learning curve with stitching. Have fun deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Self discovery is good! I think that the decision to make thoughtful and mindful purchases will make a big change in your spending habits. I know that I often shop impulsively and emotionally. There is nothing wrong with buying things that give you join and entertainment!

    I've noticed the VS charts require a lot of specialty stitches and aspire to be able to stitch their charts too! Learning new things is always fun! I'm looking forward to seeing where you go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a place to live? Food and clothing? If so, then I say then what harm could you be doing to buy a thing here or there. You said it right when you said your going to avoid buying on a whim or emotional cloud. I think you decision is very balance:)

    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Ladies for your support, I agree with you ;)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh Victoria Sampler Designs what a lovely way to increase your stitchy repertoire :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!