Monday, November 2, 2009

Grandma Freed's Coffee Frosting Cake

I have have had a lot of requests for this cake....so here's the recipe....hope you like it!

Golden Cake:
1/2 cup butter or shortening
1 cup sugar
4 eggs yolks, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sifted cake flour
3 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 - 9 inch cake pans.

Sift together the flour and baking powder. In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Add the vanilla and continue to mix until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour-baking powder mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Continue to beat until combined. Do not over beat or your cake will be tough.

Pour batter into a greased and floured baking pan.
Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
Cool cake completely before frosting.

Coffee Frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter
5 tbsp sugar
5 egg yolks
1 cup, triple strength coffee, cooled
pinch salt

I start by brewing a cup of 3 rounded teaspoons of instant coffee (I use Folgers) in 6 ounces boiling water. Let coffee cool. In a medium saucepan combine the cooled coffee, sugar, egg yolks and salt and heat to just before boiling, stirring constantly. Set aside and allow to cool. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the coffee mixture and continue to mix until light and fluffy....don't panic, it takes a long time to start to fluff.....about 10 minutes or more, but once it fluffs it really fluffs!

Frost bottom layer and center of cake...dusting with unsweetened cocoa powder after frosting. Set the top layer on and finish frosting entire cake and dust with cocoa powder.

That's my cake....it is my favorite and was first baked by my Grandmother, Regina, when she was newly married. She passed the recipe onto my Mom, who passed it onto my sister and me...

I hope you enjoy it as much as my family has.
Enjoy!

Hugs

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness. You're gonna' have me as fat as a popover with all these good recipes! Will try! Thanks! How cool to have a recipe from the fam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my yummies! Sounds like a lil bit of sweet heaven. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I've gotta add this one to my recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bake that up and I'll be right over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Karyn this recipe sounds absolutely delicious! The frosting is very interesting, I have never used egg yolks in a frosting before. This is on my 'to make' list this week! Thank you. I could just about taste the cake while reading the recipe!!!! Instead I am drinking a lovely hot cup of strong coffee and peanut butter on toast for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'll be right behind Parsley with some tea & coffee ........

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!