Friday, November 13, 2009

Aunt Ina's Perfect Pie Crust

Ingredients:

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening

6 to 8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) ice water


Directions:

Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Cut the dough in half. Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.

Yield: 2 (10-inch) crusts

Hugs

12 comments:

  1. Very timely post as I am in dire straights not able to find my grandmothers dessert recipes which are in an old recipe book.

    Gone is the cover and it is stained with crisco, and cinnamon smudges..... it is one of my treasures gone a missing since our move back home.

    And in it , Gram's fool-proof pie crust recipe. So I will definately try Aunt Ina's pie crust. Every tried and true recipe I have used of yours are always delicious!

    Hugs, GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh nooo! *Praying for your cookbook to be found easily* okay that prayer is known to find anything :) Keep me posted and lemme know how you like the pie crust.

    Hugs GG
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie crust recipe looks awesome! I love pie crust, anything with crust, that's the best part! I usually rely on Pillsbury too much.....

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe....I love thos recipe, it's easy and fast and tastes amazing! I have been using it for years!

    Hugs
    LOL (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing! Holidays around the corner and new pie filling recipes to try. Thanks.

    So...when are you coming over for a slice of pie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe.....well, how long does it take to get from So CT to OK? of course, you will have to return home with me for slice of mocha cake :)

    Hugs Auntie Parsley ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to give up eating flour 2 years ago have not ventured out to find a replacement recipe, I can almost smell the pies baking! My grandmother and sister share the same name has your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a deal. We'll be the traveling dessert sisters. You here for a dessert, me there for another. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a deal! Maybe we can stop and pick up Jennifer while we are at it....she likes desserts....but I think we would have to insist on little miss abbie coming with her and we have to LOL a lot, but not so much that we scare the lil pup...I can't wait!

    LOL, hugs and wink wink

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whitey...No flour? Do you still follow that diet, my dear? I wonder if there is a recipe for pie crust using something else that is perhaps gluten free?

    Hugs....I do like that name :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this! I do miss Aunt Ina. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too, big sis! But at least we still have Aunt Martha ;)

    ROFL hugs and Love you....I owe you a call back <3:)

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!