Friday, November 7, 2008

A State Of Grace

A "state of grace" is defined by the Catholic church as that state in which we are not in mortal sin and are in a good relationship with God. I had lunch this week with a very dear friend, who is also a Catholic priest. We have been friends for many years and when we get together the conversation flows in many directions, as we both enjoy many of the same interests. As we enjoyed a nice lunch we talked about various topics and as always happens we ended up on the topic of worship, where we found ourselves wandering into the Book of Revelation. I asked him about our future as a people and how John's teachings about the end of times could be translated into our current world situation. As always happens when I sit and listen to Father, I began to feel less worried and more empowered, and with his words of wisdom came a sense of peace and understanding. I understand that the Book of Revelation is more a reflection than a prediction. I was reminded that we as Catholics must look to it as a guide to live by now and not a for teller of our future demise. We must remain ever mindful that there are leaders who may not have their people's best interest at heart and that evil does inhabit this earth and it is our duty to remain steadfast against it, just as Jesus did, even while on the Cross. As we talked about Revelation and our future, and as always happens when two or more Catholics get together, the topic turned to purgatory which, of course, then led into grace. We talked about purgatory and I reiterated the homily from Sunday's mass that explained so well the tasks of those souls in purgatory who we pray for as they work to become cleansed and enter the kingdom of heaven. I asked my dear friend, how can we prepare for the end of times and the potential that we may have to spend time in purgatory, and he explained that it is actually quite simple. He told me to make it my task to live everyday in a state of grace, not to please others and not for my own ego, but to be pleasing to God. He told me to live everyday as if it could be my last, and if it should be, then I will meet the Lord in a state of grace. He told me this as not only a priest, but as a true friend. Those are words to live by. May the grace of our Lord be with you always. "As one sees, John wants to instill in his readers an attitude of courageous trust. With his strong and sometimes difficult images, he certainly does not intend to propose enigmas to solve, but to suggest a path of certain hope" Pope Benedict

3 comments:

  1. May the grace of our Lord be with you always.

    And also with you.

    Wonderful post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful advice that I think we often forget: to live our lives for God, not ourselves or for others!

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!