It is named after long stockings called knickerbockers, which were once popular among young girls and have red and white stripes, as does the Knickerbocker Glory. Here's How To Make One:
- Obtain a tall glass (like the type traditionally used to serve milk shakes).
- Chop fruit into small slices or pieces. Ideally use colorful fruits like peaches, grapes, strawberries, melon or banana. Place these in the base of the glass.
- Add three scoops of ice cream on top of the fruit. A minimum 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream is the usual amount.
- Pour a fruit sauce over the ice cream - Melba (peach) sauce is traditional.
- Top this with thick whipped cream.
- Top with a cherry and add an ice cream wafer. Other toppings could include nuts or more fruit sauce.
- Serve chilled along with a long ice cream spoon and a big napkin.