Friday, July 18, 2008

A Friend From Far Away

When I was a little girl in southern California, my Grandma Freed used to talk about her family "back east" and miss them, something awful. I never quite understood where "back east" was but i knew it must be far because she only spoke to her brother and sister on special occasions. I once asked her about her childhood girlfriends and she told me she had lost touch with the few she had, when she moved to California. That was very hard for my mind to grasp, as I had attended school with the same kids from kindergarten through high school and, in fact, my folks still live in the same home I grew up in. So it is with great awe that I have found so many new friends from all over this country as well as Canada and beyond, through my most favorite and cherished home making board. The idea started as a funny comment, on our daily "clean and chat" room. My friend and I were kidding each other that she was gonna come and see me and I said "Come on over." At first we both saw this as nothing but a funny thing to say, and then, as you know women we can't ever seem to let a nugget of intention go, we began to talk about the reality of a visit and this snowballed into a plan. Well, I am thrilled to say, my dear friend came for a visit, and we had fun like two school girls, back in the day. We had so much in common it was almost spooky. My friend started in her own hometown in Illinois and drove to upstate NY, where she visited another dear friend, and spent a wonderful day visiting with good folks and enjoying the hospitality and fellowship. She then got back on the road and drove down to my home in southwestern CT. In all she logged more than 20 hours of driving, one way, and that is in these times of severe gas inflation. So, it is with great appreciation and love that I was given the opportunity to meet my friend from far away. We spent two days together and I don't think that I have laughed so much in a very long time. We rode the train into NYC and even the subway! We walked from Times Square to Central park, and we laughed the whole way! We missed our friends who join us daily as the "PH 15s" but we knew they were all with us in spirit on this great big adventure. We ate burgers in Times Square, roasted nuts and pretzels from a sidewalk vendor and we made up silly stories about the people and places we passed. We got to know each other in person and we formed a deep friendship. We took many pictures so we could show then to our dear friends who were with us in our hearts and talked and talked and talked. She got to meet my family and she welcomed them into her life and couldn't have been sweeter. She is a beautiful person inside and out. My only regret is that Grandma Freed hadn't lived long enough to see that the spirit of technology has given us the opportunity to not only stay connected with those who we are forced to leave behind when life takes us on a journey, but to also meet new people who become like old and very treasured friends. I hope that my Grandma is looking down and smiling knowing that the loneliness and isolation that she felt is no longer the housewife's enemy. That we women of the new millennium have stepped over a wide chasm and have conquered the enemy. We can go anywhere and do anything to better ourselves, our homes and our families. And, most important of all, we can stay in touch with the people who are most important in lives...our dear family and treasured friends, some of whom I have never met in person but I see in my heart. And the funniest thing of all, as I sit and write this is that my entire family lives on the opposite coast, some 3000 miles away, and I often forget that fact because we remain so closely connected, thanks to modern technology and the most super highway ever built. I met a friend from far away, and she is now family. Thanks Deb.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I'm thinking it's going to be a long time before I'm meeting any of my online friends...unless someone gets a hankering for moving to the Middle East. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. but when you do get home....think of how wonderful it will be to meet us all....and for us all to meet you! until then we will just enjoy being able to visit across the many miles...ahhh technology :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!