Tuesday, May 20, 2008

You Can't Please Everyone

As a wife and mother it's my job to meet the needs of my family, which includes any living breathing creature who lives in our home. This would include, but not be limited to 1 husband, 2 sons, 1 often visiting girlfriend, 2 dogs of varying sizes and 2 cats. So, it's no surprise that I often feel a bit overwhelmed, even after 23 years of marriage and almost 19 years of being a mom. What is amazing is that some days no matter how hard I try, and I do try, in my attempt to meet everyone's needs I end up meeting no ones. I hate those days, they leave me feeling tired and frustrated. You see, it's my job to please everyone by meeting not just their basic needs of love, food, shelter and safety, but to meet their emotional, social and dietary needs as well. Now, I am not talking about young children who cannot care for themselves, I am talking about two young adults, one of which has been living at college for the past year. And I have to admit some days I am more on my game than others, and the days when I am not are the days that I either have not slept well or I just plain don''t fell like it. You can't tell people these things as we are supposed to love being a mother and wife, every minute of every day, without complaint or frustration. But ya know what? I do get frustrated and some days I do feel that I don't enjoy scrubbing toilets and picking up after others. But then there are the more often than not days where I do enjoy taking care of my home and family. These are the days that keep me going and make me feel like my attempts to please everyone are not futile. I don't look for outward praise or appreciation, but I know in my heart that they do appreciate what I do and that's a great feeling. To know that, at the end of the day, even though I know someone feels short changed I know I did my best and I met the needs of my family, if not enhanced their lives. So I live the motto from my childhood....You can't please everyone....but if I can please one or two in my home then that's an accomplishment in itself and I can therefore feel like I met my families needs. Of course I should mention that on many days the only needs met are those of the cats, but hey they're family.

2 comments:

  1. No you can't please everyone. Our job is to please God and our husbands. By pleasing our husbands we please God.
    Dear one, do hte best you can, God asks for no less and He demands no more.
    hugs
    mel

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!