Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Time Flies When You're Making Play-doh

I knew the day would come when Sean would start kindergarten. I knew the day would come when Ian would tie his own shoes.
I knew the day would come when Sean would find his first love. I knew the day would come when Ian would rather spend Friday night with his buds. I knew the day would come when Sean would leave for college. And I even knew that the day would come for Ian to learn to drive. But that day has come and I stand here in shock. Where did the time go? I can't have a child already on the path to his own adulthood, his spot in the nest no longer filled with Legos and cookie crumbs. I can't have my other child, my baby, standing at the edge of the nest, wings ready to fly. I swear I was just in the kitchen making Play-doh with my back turned and everything changed. The voices got deeper, the laughter got louder, the hugs got taller, and the band-aids got bigger. I still have the Red Ranger that went everywhere with us, and the Yoshi doll that spent one harrowing week lost among the aisles of Target. The only thing that hasn't changed is my heart. My boys still take my breath away. Every time I look at the men they are becoming, I still see a glimpse of the little boys they were. And I fall in love with them all over again. In the memory of their first cry, first giggle, first hug, and first step. And that was it. That first step that led to the next and then to the road, and then to the world. So I stand here...and I watch them grow. I am so proud, and I am so happy for them. And I realize that I haven't made play-doh in quite some time...purple was my favorite.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your sons and to you for raising such fine young men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at the Boss last night and trying to remember what he looked like as a baby and a toddler. There are times I don't think he's changed a bit, just gotten bigger, but other times I just can't call up what he looked like then. I can remember photographs we have of him at the different ages and stages, but not as a baby. The twins are different, they're newer, but he's starting to fade a bit. But he's such a handsome boy and is going to be such a heartthrob. Part of me can't wait and the other part wants to stick him in a bottle of formaldehyde. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! The love you have for your sons truly shines through in your writing. I imagine their hearts are filled with love for their parents and wherever the road of life leads them, they will always hold you close.

    ReplyDelete

I adore kind comments, and though I may not always reply please know that I read and enjoy them all!